While National Heart Month is in February, it is important for your elderly loved one to keep their heart healthy all year long. There are many different things that can negatively affect your elderly loved one’s heart health including an unhealthy diet, a sedentary lifestyle, and more. However, there are also some heart health tips that can benefit your elderly loved one, as well.
Regular Heart Health Tips
It is important to know that there are numerous heart health tips available. Depending on who you talk to or which doctor your elderly loved one sees on a regular basis, they might get different advice. However, there are some general heart health tips that are often recommended by every medical professional. These heart health tips include the following:
- Stop smoking
- Take a walk every day
- Use medication (when prescribed) to help manage high blood pressure
- Eat healthier foods
These are some of the heart health tips that are most commonly recommended. You and your elderly loved one’s caregivers can help to encourage these healthy habits.
Best Foods for Heart Health
As just mentioned, one of the heart health tips is to eat healthier foods. Some of the foods that can do wonders for your elderly loved one’s heart include the following:
- Salmon – Research shows that salmon can help to reduce the risk of heart disease. When combined with exercise, it can further help to lower triglyceride levels, treat heart rhythm issues, and prevent further plaque growth on blood vessels and the heart.
- Blueberries – These are filled with ellagic acid, vitamin C, potassium, anthocyanin, fiber, and magnesium. All of these things help to maintain or even improve heart health.
- Almonds – These nuts are filled with omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, magnesium, healthy fats, and vitamin E. Again, each of these things are great for the heart.
You should encourage your elderly loved one to eat more of these foods in their daily diet. By doing so, they can start boosting their heart health today.
There are many different ways that your elderly loved one can maintain or even improve their heart health. If you encourage your elderly loved one to follow through with all of the heart health tips mentioned here today, they can have the best heart health possible.
Keep in mind that if your elderly loved one complains of any heart health issues or other health issues, they should see their doctor as soon as possible. If they experience sudden chest pain or other emergent heart issues, they should go to the emergency room immediately.
If you or an aging loved one are considering a Caregiver in Evanston, IL, contact the caring staff at Companion Services of America today at (847) 943-3786. Our home care service area includes Northbrook, Highland Park, Deerfield, Glenview, Buffalo Grove, Evanston, Des Plaines, Skokie, Lake Forest, Wilmette and the surrounding areas.
- How Many Calories Should Your Mom Aim for After Menopause? - October 20, 2020
- Can an Anti-Inflammatory Diet Ease Arthritis Pain? - October 13, 2020
- Is Home Care the Answer for Conserving Your Senior’s Energy? - October 6, 2020