Finding out that your aging parent has heart failure is a life-changing moment. While this condition does not mean that the heart has stopped or will stop imminently, or that there is nothing that can be done for them, heart failure is a serious issue that can lead to major health consequences. Managing it effectively is essential for protecting your parent’s health and helping them to continue living a lifestyle that is as full, fulfilling, and meaningful as possible as they age in place. Fortunately, home care can help.
Some ways that an in-home senior care services provider can help your parent manage heart failure include:
- Encourage medication compliance. Your senior may be prescribed medications to help them manage and control their heart failure. Complying with this medication by taking it when and how they are supposed to is essential for getting the full benefit of it. This care provider can encourage compliance by offering reminders and supporting your parent in following through.
- Support a healthy diet. Eating well is critical to helping your parent enjoy better heart health as they age in place. A home care provider can help your parent make good choices about the foods they eat, and assist with meal and snack preparation to ensure that your loved one is getting the nutrients that they need to support a healthy body, and that they are following through with any restrictions or guidelines set forth by their doctor.
- Get them active. Staying physically active is an important part of protecting heart health. A home care provider can help your parent achieve the benefits of physical activity, including keeping their weight down and supporting a stronger heart, by helping them to find an activity that they enjoy and encouraging them to participate in it frequently. Reliable transportation and physical support can both be extremely helpful in this situation.
If you are a family caregiver for an elderly adult, you will need to make a wide variety of decisions for your parents. One of the best can be to start home care for them. An in-home senior care services provider can fill care gaps, be with your parent on a regular basis, and help them to pursue their own care goals as well as supporting you and giving your parent the care that they need. This care provider can be there for your parent to provide safe and reliable transportation so they can get to where they need and want to go for a more active and fulfilling lifestyle. They can also provide assistance with personal care needs and activities of daily living such as bathing, grooming, dressing, meal preparation and eating, grocery shopping, housekeeping, and other tasks to help you or loved ones live the highest quality of life possible as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Skokie, IL, contact the caring staff at Companion Services of America today at (847) 943-3786. Our home care service area includes Northbrook, Highland Park, Deerfield, Glenview, Buffalo Grove, Evanston, Des Plaines, Skokie, Lake Forest, Wilmette and the surrounding areas.
Latest posts by Jamie Shapiro (see all)
- How to Use Pictures with Dementia Patients - June 20, 2018
- Easter Seals Golf Outing - June 14, 2018
- Avoid Caregiver Burnout: Hire a Home Care Provider - June 13, 2018