Each year throughout the world there are more than one million cases of meningitis. In the United States alone there are more than 12,000 cases of the different forms and hundreds of deaths. While there is often a misconception that this type of disease only occurs in very young people or people who are in high school or college, the reality is that meningitis can and does occur in people of all ages. This is a very serious disease that can result in death in 24 hours if not treated properly. As a family caregiver it is important that you understand the risks associated with this disease and what you can do to help them to prevent it as they age in place. This can protect your senior and give them better chance of a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life throughout their later years.
Use these tips to help your parent prevent meningitis:
- Practice aggressive germ control. A strong germ control approach is important for protecting your parent from all types of illnesses, including meningitis. Encourage them to wash their hands regularly and to use cleaning techniques that keep germs at bay in their home and when they are out. This helps to limit the chances that they will contract the disease from a wide variety of sources.
- Avoid cross contamination. Meningitis passes from person to person very easily. Avoid potential cross contamination by not sharing drinking glasses, utensils, lip balm or makeup, handkerchiefs, or other items that might spread germs between people.
- Ask about vaccinations. Talk to your elderly loved one’s doctor about whether a vaccine would be right for them to help increase their body’s resistance to the disease.
Starting elder care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them during the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a customized schedule that is tailored not just to the type of care that they need, but also the amount of care that you are able to give them. This means that whether your senior only has moderate care needs that are primarily based on assisting them with their activities of daily living and transportation needs, or are suffering more serious challenges and limitations that require extensive care and support each day. This care provider will devise a highly personalized approach to care, support, assistance, and encouragement that takes into consideration your elderly loved one’s individual needs as well as their personality, opinions, beliefs, and lifestyle goals. This enables them to live the type of lifestyle and quality of life that they desire and deserve, while also encouraging them to maintain as much independence, activity, and engagement as possible as they age in place. When it comes to helping your elderly parent prevent serious conditions such as meningitis, this care provider can help your parent understand the risks that they are facing and encourage them to make lifestyle choices that will reduce their risk, keep them healthier, and support them in remaining compliant with the guidelines and instructions given to them by their doctor.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Northbrook, IL, contact the caring staff at Companion Services of America today at (847) 943-3786. Our home care service area includes Northbrook, Highland Park, Deerfield, Glenview, Buffalo Grove, Evanston, Des Plaines, Skokie, Lake Forest, Wilmette and the surrounding areas.
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- Mother's Day - May 4, 2018
- Summer's Coming – What Sunscreen is Best for Your Mom and Dad? - May 2, 2018
- What Tactics Can You Use to Break the Worry Cycle? - April 25, 2018